Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Down London Road by Samantha Young

Down London Road (On Dublin Street, #2)Down London Road by Samantha Young

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary: Johanna Walker is used to taking charge. But she’s about to meet someone who will make her lose control. Johanna Walker is used to taking charge. But she’s about to meet someone who will make her lose control....
It has always been up to Johanna to care for her family, particularly her younger brother, Cole. With an absent father and a useless mother, she’s been making decisions based on what’s best for Cole for as long as she can remember. She even determines what men to date by how much they can provide for her brother and her, not on whatever sparks may—or may not—fly.
But with Cameron MacCabe, the attraction is undeniable. The sexy new bartender at work gives her butterflies every time she looks at him. And for once, Jo is tempted to put her needs first. Cam is just as obsessed with getting to know Jo, but her walls are too solid to let him get close enough to even try.
Then Cam moves into the flat below Jo’s, and their blistering connection becomes impossible to ignore. Especially since Cam is determined to uncover all of Jo’s secrets…even if it means taking apart her defenses piece by piece.
Characters: All of the beloved characters from On Dublin Street make an appearance, which was lovely for me.  I know I'm not the only one who gets attached to characters!

Jo: I love this girl.  She's an admirable young woman who is much more than the eye can see.  She seems like a major gold digger, but she's taking care of her brother and mom all by herself so she had motivation to be with a rich guy.  But the thing that I liked about her was that she actually cared about that bloke and wasn't just using him for his money.  Jo is not as snarky as Joss, which stinks because Joss' comments are hilarious and audacious, but I love Jo for her selflessness and compassion.

Cam: I'm happy that Jo finds this guy because he is near perfect.  He can come off as a jerk, but he's a caring softie underneath the tattoos.  What I love most about him is that he treats Cole like a friend.  And of course his playful, funny comments.  I did enjoy that he could also have a more serious and insecure side, making him more human.

Plot: I guess I'm just an impatient romantic but why did these two need to be in relationships prior to meeting each other? I suppose it was to heighten the drama and tension, but they could have gotten together so much quicker!!! 

I stayed up all night and into the morning to finish this baby.  Personally, I love the way Samantha Young can capture my attention by throwing in little curve balls of unexpected drama while making me laugh and smile at the same time.

Just a little warning, this book is either new adult or adult fiction so the content is more mature.  Let's just say some scenes get a little hot and heavy fast.

SPOILER The one problem I did have with the plot though was that Jo wouldn't kill a spider because she thought it was wrong but she allowed others to beat up an abusive person to teach him a lesson.  What kind of a lesson besides hypocrisy is that?

Sequels: This June, a novella about Adam and Ellie comes out;) Then, in 2014 a 
book about new characters Olivia and Nate hits the shelf!!! I'm super excited! And the titles are so cute!

Would I recommend it? Yeah, I love this series! They're a bit heavier and mature, but they still have drama, humor, romance, and hope- my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.