Monday, December 03, 2012

Review: On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1)On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Actual rating: 4.5 stars!

Okay, so I feel a bit embarrassed to be posting this review on a primarily YA blog, but this was really good!

Just a little caveat, I decided to read this one based on the average rating and the very beginnings of people's review.  I didn't even bother reading the summary until I was 3 chapters away from finishing.  Yeah, the blurb pretty much alludes to erotic fiction... There are quite a few instances where it gets risqué, yet the book was angsty and tension and drama filled romance, my favorite!


Summary:Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.
Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.
But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.
Characters: I liked Jocelyn for being sassy, but her stubbornness got very frustrating!  However, she's got legitimate reasoning for keeping up walls.  And I admire that she doesn't try super hard to look good, and she's not tall and stick thin.  And Braden... Seriously, why don't people like him exist?  He starts off really flirty and arrogant, kind of annoying, but it becomes evident that he's a truly devoted and loving person towards the people he cares about;)  He comes off as if he would be very controlling, but he proves to be so much better than desperate for control Christian Grey.  Lastly, the guy's actually very intelligent, not to mention gorgeous.
Ellie, Braden's brother and Jocelyn's roommate, wins for best supporting character.  She was so cheery and sweet, a girl that makes everyone smile.

Plot: So you think you have another 50 Shades, but this actually had a decent plot.  I actually wasn't expecting a couple of the major conflicts.  Again, I want to stress that this was a ROMANTIC DRAMA, not just pages filled with sex (but I'm definitely not saying that the amount of intimate scenes didn't get to be a little too much).  The drama constantly kept my interest.    

Writing: I always find writing of a book in which the other characters speak a different dialect super interesting.  I learned some new Scottish words:) I did find it kind of funny when Jocelyn said something an American obviously wouldn't say, but Samantha Young did a pretty good job of writing an American character considering she's from Scotland.
*To the minds that want to be devoid of profanity, you're in for a treat. Kidding

Genre: This is technically adult fiction but I was having a little debate with myself (don't pretend you don't do it too) about whether or not this was adult fiction or new adult fiction.  The characters acted pretty young, but were older than college age, yet I'll still argue that this can be new adult.

I'm having a dilemma.  YA is getting kinda boring because the most exciting thing to happen is a little peck, but then adult fiction is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, with explicit sex on every page.  Perhaps I should venture into this new adult genre.

Setting: Samantha Young posted some pictures of the real Dublin Street.  Wow! What a cool looking place.








Book Trailer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.