Friday, October 19, 2012

Review: A Tinfoil Sky by Cyndi Sand-Eveland

I'm just going crazy with posting all my goodreads reviews...



A Tinfoil Sky
by Cyndi Sand-Eveland

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary: Mel and her mother, Cecily, know what it’s like to live rough, whether it’s on the streets or in the apartment of an abusive man.When Cecily announces that they’ve had enough and that they are going to go home to her mother’s, Mel dreams of security, a comfortable bed, and a grandmother’s love seem to be about to come true. But some mistakes cannot be easily forgiven or erased. Her grandmother is not what Mel expects, and though the local library offers sanctuary, a real home seems beyond her grasp. Mel’s determination to rise above what fate has dealt is about to change that. 
Cyndi Sand-Eveland’s work with homeless youth gives her characters an authenticity no reader will forget. Ultimately, a story of hope and acceptance, A Tinfoil Sky is a powerful, can’t-putit- down novel.

It was short, but I will admit that for me it was not quick. When I wasn't reading it, I didn't find myself wanting to be. I found the story a bit slow and sad. However, I did like the main character Mel. She was just someone trying to find her way like we all are during some part of our own lives. After reading the ending, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't particularly happy. Thinking about it now, it would have been too predictable if it were the way I wanted it to end, so I commend the author for taking a risk with the ending. Overall, this was a good book. It wasn't one of my favorites due to personal preferences, it being a little too depressing for me..

Recommend to a friend? No

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.