Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Goodreads Summary: A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.


My Rating: 4 out of 5

**Spoilers**

My Summary: In this dystopian novel about the Zombie Apocalypse, R makes a stunning revelation about the truth of his kind and life in general. R had always held on to more of his humanity then the others of his kind had. One night, when R is on the hunt for food, R kills young Perry, an intelligent and light-hearted teen hardened by the apocalyptic world. While eating Perry, R has the ability to relive memories of Perry's human life, and it is in these memories that R sees Julie. Julie is/was Perry's girlfriend, and when R saw her he felt something and an odd feeling of love began to grow despite R's inability to feel. R quickly falls in love with Julie and together the two fight to find a cure to the plague and save the innocents that have turned into zombies.  

My Review: I really liked this book. It was fascinating, dark, sweet, funny, and the list can go on. The story itself was a little slow at times and hard to get through, but what really made this book was the writing. It was truly a beautifully written book, and in the YA fiction section it can be hard to find books that are written as well as this one was. The story was cute and it was really more of a story of hope and change rather than a simple love story. Also, this book is NOT for the faint of heart. If blood and gore doesn't tickle your fancy, then don't read this or skip the disturbing parts. The writing was perfectly descriptive and at times it was a little too descriptive for me, but then again I can be a little squeamish. I also loved R; he seemed like such an honest character and he was nicely developed. 

Overall: I  highly recommend this book for everyone! Its not really your conventional romance and it was really well written. Only draw back was the slow plot (trust me, this is easily overshadowed by the writing), but overall a fabulous read!


Additional: This book was actually made into a movie that is coming out in February of 2013.  And if the story isn't enough for you, then how about Nicholas Holt who plays R and Dave Franco who plays Perry (LOVE them both)! I just watched the trailer and the movie looks funnier than I remember the book being, but needless to say I'm super excited. 

Additional Additional: At this point here is Carly cutting into Rachel's review because she just found out good news: Warm Bodies 2 announced on Isaac Marion's blog!  (I know how dumb taking in third person sounds.)


"Clearly, there is something uncool about writing sequels. None of the writers whose careers I hope to emulate have done it--in serious literary circles, it just isn't done. 
The thing is, I am writing a sequel. 
I can see the reactions now: some smiles, some furrowed brows, some eye-rolls. People have urged me not get stuck in a rut, to move on and explore new territory, because as the above-mentioned Jeanette Winterson put it, 'Sequels are for when a writer runs out of ideas.'
I have not run out of ideas. I have more ideas than I'll ever be able to write, three of which already have their first chapter written. But as much as I'm pawing the ground to dive into those stories, here's why I'm staying in R and Julie's world a little longer: their story isn't finished."



As always...Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. We did it without he aluminium. I was thinking that this should be reviewed wih the movie coming out.
    This movie actually looks decent, not too too corny but just enough to satisfy our needs. Movie date!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.