Saturday, November 03, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door Goodreads Summary: A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.


Rating: 5 out of 5

**Spoilers**

My Summary: The good girl, Samantha Reed, gets thrown for a loop one summer when she meets the boy next door. For Samantha's politician mother, the crazy house next door was not a good part of her image, so the privacy fences went up, and for Samantha, the Garretts became a an idea rather than a reality. That's until she meets Jase. Jase is the exact opposite of what Samantha's mother wants to see, thus making him more appealing. Samantha was never the rebellious child ( that was always her sister's thing), but after getting to know Jase, Samantha saw that this rebellion was not going to be short lived. The two quickly become an inseparable pair, until one night a dangerous secret threatens the couple and  Samantha finds herself caught  between perfection and the truth. 

My Review: If my rating isn't clear enough, I LOVED this book. I warned you that a good romance gets me every time and this book is totally an example of that fact. Characters aside, I'm always a fan of the "boy/girl next door" plots, so I may be a little bias.  But even with my bias, I can honestly say that this book was top notch. It was poignant, honest, and real. Samantha and Jase had really good chemistry and it definitely didn't feel forced like some other books I've read. Also the book wasn't totally focused on the romance, while it was a major aspect there were other elements that tied the story together, such as the car accident and the ever present mommy issues. I also enjoyed the secondary characters (i.e Jase's brother George, I adored him!) they added nice side stories and funny lines that made the reading enjoyable.  My only complaint is that Samantha and her friend's conflict was never resolved. I suppose that it made the story more realistic, but maybe I'm just an idealist who like a happy ending (probably). 

      Overall: For Huntley Fitzpatrick's debut novel, I though it was great. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a relaxing and honest read. This book is a perfect summer (yes, I know it's Fall)  read! 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.