Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Favorite Books Read 2013

These aren't in a specific order, just in which order they come to mind.  I suppose whichever ones I remember first were better than the others, but now I'm getting all psychology nerd on you;)

1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


I just finished this book tonight, so I won't have a review up for a little while.  I also have to do a book report on it and finish in one day because of my surgery interfering with deadlines. I'm giving you my little summary, but for the rest of the books on this list I am just linking my review where summaries can be found.

This is a nonfiction work about a woman named Henrietta, whose cells are still alive even though she is dead.  These cells have lead to amazing medical advancements like the polio vaccine and cancer treatment like Taxol, but her doctors took cell samples from her without her ever knowing.  These cells are extremely valuable for research even still today, and producing these cells called HeLa became a billion dollar industry.  But does her family get any of the money? They can't even afford health insurance.

2. Vain by Fisher Amelie


3. The Edge of Never by J. A. Redmerski


4. Just One Day by Gayle Forman



5. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi



6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


8. The Host by Stephenie Meyer


9. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeRoux



10. The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus



11. Down London Road by Samantha Young



12. Wait for You by J. Lynn



13. Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles

Hope you have a great 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.