Monday, December 23, 2013

I probably shouldn't be laughing: The Fault in Our Stars Movie


I like the tag line.  It's punny, but I definitely understand that some people don't.  Cancer is a touchy subject of course, but that's the whole point of the novel.  John Green shows that books about cancer don't have to be complete tearjerkers.  It's such a beautiful story.  I'm excited for the movie.  I love the casting!

John Green's reaction to the tagline via Tumblr:

I like the tag line. I found it dark and angry in the same way that Hazel is (at least at times) dark and angry in her humor. I mostly wanted something that said, "This is hopefully not going to be a gauzy, sentimental love story that romanticizes illness and further spreads the lie that the only reason sick people exist is so that healthy people can learn lessons." But that's not a very good tag line. I like the tag line because it says, literally, the sick can also have love stories. Love and joy and romance are not just things reserved for the well.


Shailene Woodley's thoughts:

I had a really strong response to it. It's definitely - it's not a tagline that I probably would have chosen by any means. But I think that there's so many people who are so passionate about this book that there's nothing that will ever satisfy everyone. So I think it was just up to the discretion of the marketing mavens. For me, it was - yeah, not something I would have chosen. But it seems like half the people love it and half the people don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.