Monday, February 10, 2014

EXCERPT: The Dragonlord's Heir by Christina Kenway

 Today, I have an exclusive excerpt of The Dragonlord's Heir by Christina Kenway!!! Enjoy.


In The Dragonlord's Heir, 13-year-old Logan Lockwood discovers that he is a direct descendant of Saint George, the legendary dragon slayer. As such, he carries the responsibilities that come with the title of Dragonlord: he is responsible for keeping the great dragons entombed and slaying any if they should ever break free from their supernatural slumber. 
Logan must call upon the powers within him and reclaim Saint George's lance, Ascalon, to stop an enemy with the intent of resurrecting one of the great dragons--and he only has three days to do it.
My mother opened the door to her room and gestured for me to enter. I seated myself at the

edge of her bed, watching as she sealed and locked the door behind her. She sat down at the

computer chair next to the desk and clasped her hands together, staring at the white carpet with

concerned eyes. Her dark brown hair hung in a curtain around her face, shielding me from the view

of her dismay.

Finally, I asked, “Who exactly is that guy, Mom?”

She drew in a deep breath and looked up at me. “He works with your father, like he said.”

“What kind of work do they do together?”

She stared past me at the wall, twisting her hands. “You’re going to think I’m crazy,” she

said. She met my gaze once more. “I should have told you about your father a long time ago, but

you have to understand that I kept him a secret for your own safety. The whole reason we had to

leave each other in the first place was for your safety.”

I scowled. “Stop avoiding my question.”

She sighed and remained silent for several moments. “He works for a secret society,” she

said, “called the Order of Ascalon.”

A burst of laughter escaped me. “I know you’re trying to let me down easily, but you don’t

have to lie.”

“Didn’t I tell you that you’d think I was crazy?” she said. “It’s true, Logan. He has served

the Order since he was a child. He was born into it, as was his father before him. You remember

your grandfather, Silas, don’t you?”

“No, I don’t,” I responded. “You’re as secretive about my father’s family as you are about

my father himself.”

“There are reasons for that, Logan,” she returned heatedly. “I know you’re upset with me,

but you don’t need to be rude.”

I sighed and stared down at the floor. “Yes, ma’am.”

After shooting me one of those unpleasant looks of warning that only a mother can give,

she continued. “Your grandfather was involved in the Order’s affairs, too.”

I decided to suspend disbelief for just a second. “All right. Let’s say I believe you. This

Order thing—what do they do?”

My mother glanced at the door. “They protect the Dragonlord.”

I raised my eyebrows. “There’s that ‘Dragonlord’ word again. What does it mean?”

“He is the person responsible for keeping the great dragons of legend entombed, so that

they can never rise again.”

“Like a dragon slayer?”

“Something like that.” She drew in a silent breath and slowly rose to her feet, locking eyes with

me. “You are the Dragonlord, Logan.”

Find The Dragonlord's Heir on Goodreads 
Christina Kenway's Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.